Olivia King - Tuesday, 13 August 2019 - Features
These are the best designed free slots that we have chosen for your enjoyment. Check out these fantastic slots with great design features and play them for free.
Online slots are no longer merely spin and win machines. Technology advances and increasing competition has led to the designing of slot games that provide an immersive experience along with the opportunity of winning.
The important parameters that contribute to the design framework are:
- Development of the theme
- Graphics and styling (e.g. 3D, amine etc.)
- Animations in wins and background
- Structure of the reels
- Accompanying audio content
In this article we pick five recent slot games from leading software suppliers. Relying on the above listed parameters we will show how the design of the slot machine enhances the gaming experience. Play them for free at our recommended online casinos.
Narcos from NetEnt
- Narcos is a branded slot game based on the Netflix crime thriller. Content from the series is used in the designing of the slot game.
- Players need to be kept occupied for the few seconds that it takes for the game to load. Here you will meet all the lead characters from the serial, who also appear as the high paying symbols.
- The graphics are not photo real. The caricature styling of the characters is real enough to allow identification.
- The low value playing card symbols are designed with ammunition and this links with the violent nature of Narcos.
- The reels are set in backgrounds taken from the serial. In the main game there is the street from the Mexican town with dust blowing through. The animated background infuses life into the setting.
- The background during the free spins is of the night time shootout with the sound of bullets adding a realistic touch.
- The Spin button designed as the cylinder of a six shooter is a natty touch.
The One Armed Bandit by Yggdrasil
- The One Armed Bandit also refers to the original electromechanical slot machines that were operated by a lever.
- The Western theme starts as the game loads with the Sheriff picking out a Wanted poster of the Bandit.
- The reels are located in what looks like a wooden gallows structure set in a desolate Western wasteland.
- The high paying symbols are iconic Western accessories like pistol, hipflask, hat and spur. The coloured 3D styling stands out against the pale background to the reels.
- The low symbols are the playing card suits. The design is ornate, which works to advantage because you will see more of these symbols on the reels.
- The Sheriff and the Bandit are special symbols that trigger the gaming features.
- Above each reel is a barrel like projection that melds with the rickety wooden structure. When you land a Sheriff symbol on a reel, a star badge is added to the corresponding barrel and a respin awarded. You fill each barrel with a star and trigger the free spins.
Play The One Armed Bandit at Video Casino
Video Slots Casino
100% up to $210 Match Bonus + 11 free spins on Starburst
Return of Kong Megaways from Blueprint
- In this slot game King Kong is presented as a comical character and not a ferocious beast. This affects the design of the slot game starting with the colourful free style font of the title.
- The reels are set in a jungle that is animated but obviously artificial. Kong is ensconced on the top of a rock and loudly cheers winning spins. He gets hyper in the purchased bonus features where he throws golden barrels on the reels.
- The background audio is set to bongo drums. The tune is not only peppy but fits in with the theme as well.
- The high paying symbols are Kong, tiger, owl and parrot. They have been crafted as rubber toys, much like the elements of the jungle.
- The low value playing card icons appear on a stone background. In the cascade feature, you get the appearance of the symbols sliding down a rocky cliff.
- The slot game has the trademark Megaways structure. The horizontal and vertical reels are separated by bamboo stems.
- The different elements of the design integrate to provide a vibrant environment suited to the comical tone.
Play Return of Kong Megaways at Fun Casino
50% up to €998 Match Bonus + 100 free spins on Starburst,Joker Pro,Wild Wild West: The Great Train Heist,Finn & the Swirly Spin
Agent Jane Blonde Returns from Microgaming
- This is a sequel to an immensely popular and old slot game. It clearly shows how the advancement of software technology has enhanced design capabilities leading to more powerful impact.
- In the original slot the graphics were in flat two dimensions. The 3D symbols in Agent Jane Blonde Returns add depth and brings the visual impression closer to realism. The female spy’s wavy hair fluttering in the breeze is much better in the sequel.
- The natures of the symbols are same. The high symbols are Jane Blonde on various missions and the low symbols are the accessories of her trade.
- The background music has a fast tempo just as in an action sequence in James Bond movies.
- Microgaming has introduced audio commentary as well. When the game has loaded you have randomly chosen announcements like “A new mission begins” or “It’s time to save the world”. When the bonus feature begins with fixed Jane Blonde symbols, the announcement says “Agents in place”.
- The background is a lit up night scene in a metropolis, something you would have seen often in Bond films.
Play Agent Jane Blonde Returns at Mansion Casino
100% up to €500 Match Bonus
The Sword & the Grail from Play n Go
- The medieval adventure of romancing the grail has been developed perfectly in the video slot through elements of design.
- The background to the reels is a sacred chamber within a castle. In order to highlight the grandness of the theme, the reels set occupies the entire display area. The background to the low value symbols has been kept transparent to ensure visibility of the castle chamber.
- The borders of the reels and the high value symbols have been designed to be ornate but unobtrusive. They enhance the medieval effect but do not impose on the main symbols.
- The story of the grail has four main characters: the knight that searches for the grail, the seer that helps him, the king that is the keeper of the grail and the grail maiden. All four appear as beautifully designed high value symbols. The win animations are nuanced but clearly perceptible.
- The low value playing card icon symbols have been kept thematic by depicting them as coins.
- The background audio is a martial tune in keeping with the theme.
Play The Sword & the Grail at LVBet Casino
100% up to $1000 Match Bonus + 200 free spins on Starburst
Looking for More?
We can see you love slots. Why not find the best free spins no deposit bonuses available for players from United States
Claim No Deposit Free Spins, Free Chips and Much More!
Sign up to our newsletter to take advantage of our fantastic offers.